Friday, October 26, 2012

Wine Tasting

What do you do when you go on vacation to California?  One of my favorite things to do when I visit my favorite state is take a trip to Napa Valley, or more accurately St. Helena.

Brad and me with our bottle of Le Reve
Our first stop on our wine day was to Domaine Carneros.  Have you never heard of Domaine Carneros?  No worries, I hadn't either.  But, it's now on my list of wineries to see when visiting Napa.

Brad, Jim, Bran, and I arrived in the early afternoon and found an outside table in the shade.  It was a little chilly in the shade, but after a "taste" or two we didn't notice the chill.  ;)

We started with a bottle of Le Reve and from there our helpful waiter brought us four or five tastes of the winery's other selections.  We were feeling good enough by the end of our tastings that Bran didn't even notice I ordered a case of sparkling wine to be shipped home.  OK, he might have noticed I ordered the case of wine, but I'm hoping he might not have noticed that three of the bottles were of Le Reve.

Making wine selections at V. Sattui
From Domaine Carneros we made our way to my favorite winery, V. Sattui.

Since our trip to Napa was on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon the winery was packed with tourists.  So packed that their parking lot was full and we were directed to park in the vinyard. 

V. Sattui has a nice area for wine tasting for the general public and a quieter area in "the cellar" for Cellar Club members.  Lucky for us we were able to avoid the mass of people and make our way to the cellar.   
 
Before we left we'd ordered another three cases of wine.

Bran and I use our trips to Napa to purchase wine. We find that the wine we purchase directly from the wineries isn't much more expensive than wine by the bottle in the grocery and liquor stores back home. With the added bonus that the wine we purchase in Napa is not available at retail outlets. So, not only are we ready for the holiday season, but we've collected wine that will be a unique experience for our guests and for those who recieve a bottle from us as a gift.
 
So go visit wineries, taste the wine, and make a couple purchases. 

No comments:

Post a Comment