Saturday, October 13, 2012

New Recipe #4: Stuffed Green Peppers

I made stuffed green peppers for the first time ever this week!

Yes, the first time ever.

It all started with a conversation recently with Brad about our crazy collection of cookbooks.  Both of us love kitch, and own at least a couple of vintage 1960 era cookbooks.  If you own vintage 1960 era cookbooks (or even cooked in the 1960s) then maybe you've asked the same question I asked Brad, "What's the deal with all the pimentos?"

Really, what was the deal?  Since the '60s are a little before my time I can only surmise that they must have been "the thing" at the time.

While thumbing through the pimento laden cook book I stumbled across a recipe for "Old-Time Stuffed Peppers".  Bran likes stuffed green peppers so I thought to myself, "Why not?  I'll give stuffed peppers a try."

I ended up cobbling together my own recipe from the one in the book with recipes I found on-line.  Following the 1968 recipe exactly was out of the question as the original recipe asked for an alarming amount of salt and MSG.

Pimentos and MSG - yum!
The peppers came out well, but I'm not happy enough with them yet to share how I made them.  When I'm happy with them I'll share, I promise.

Good thing Bran likes stuffed peppers because I'll be experimenting with them again tonight!

xoxo, K.

No comments:

Post a Comment