Monday, October 8, 2012

New Recipe #3: Spicy Pasta Pie

Sunday was a good day to try new recipes.  I made up a nice tasty pan of cornbread for breakfast and made a "Spicy Pasta Pie" for dinner.

The "Spicy Pasta Pie" is basically baked spaghetti.  I could have figured this one out for myself, but it was a nice change from my usual standby "throw what's in the fridge" spaghetti sauce.

Bran liked it enough to tell me that I could make it for him anytime I wanted.


Here's how I made it:

Spicy Baked Spaghetti (adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Easy Casseroles)
  • 4 ounces dried spaghetti
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 pound Italian sausage
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 chopped yellow onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
  • 3 ounces tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook the noodles to al dente and drain.  Return noodles to the pot and add the egg, tossing to coat.

Layer pasta on the bottom of a square glass baking dish, cover with the 1 cup mozzarella.

Cook the sausage, mushrooms, onion, and garlic in a skillet until done.  Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasonings.

Top the noodles and cheese with the meat sauce.

Cover with foil and bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with the Parmesan cheese.

We served it with a salad and it made a wonderful Sunday afternoon supper.

xoxo, K.

No comments:

Post a Comment