Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pumpkin Cake

Yesterday afternoon, to celebrate the start of fall today, I made a pumpkin cake.  The house smelled amazing.

It's a recipe I've never used before (more about trying new recipes in a later post), and true to form I didn't make it exactly the way the recipe was written.  I almost never follow a recipe to the letter.

Bran and I cut into the cake last night and each had a little slice.  It was dense, moist, and delicious.


Here's how I made it:

Pumpkin Cake
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 15 oz. can pumpkin

Mix together the vegetable oil, sugar, and eggs.  Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt.  Add the pumpkin last.

* At this time you can add raisins, nuts, and/or chocolate chips to the batter if you'd like.  Mmmm... next time I'll add about half a cup of dark chocolate chips.

Bake in a greased and floured bundt cake pan at 375° for an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. 

Bran and I are enjoying the cake just as is, but you can serve it dusted with powdered sugar, a scoop of ice cream, or a dollop of whipped cream.

Delicious!

Happy fall!  xoxo, K.

2 comments:

  1. sounds delish!! chocolate chips or chocolate drizzle would be awesome. I love pumpkin anything. I will try this one.

    ReplyDelete