Sunday, September 30, 2012

New Recipe #1: Spiced Apple Coffee Cake

So, I'm looking back at my last post and I'm wondering, "was I drunk"?  One new recipe a week for an ENTIRE year?  Holy crap I can hardly focus for more than a week.  At least it feels that way sometimes.

So here's what I propose:  1 recipe x 52 weeks = 52 recipes x 1 year

Let's face it.  There are going to be weeks where I'm out of town, weeks when I'm super busy with some other crazy part of my life, even weeks I just don't feel it.  I'll probably have tons of "just don't feel it weeks".  Knowing is half the battle, right?

But then there are going to be those crazy times, especially around the holidays, where I'm going to be doing more cooking and baking than usual. 

I think it's a fair trade so here it is:  at least 52 new recipes one year from today.

Today because I made something new this afternoon from part of my pocket recipe magazine hoard: Spiced Apple Coffee Cake, adapted from Bette Crocker Best-Ever Fall Baking 2012.


As I was pulling the cake out of the oven, Bran came in from the garage and stated "whatever that is in the oven I have first dibs".  It did make the house smell fantastic.

Here's how I made it:

Cake:
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces sour cream
  • 2 cups peeled and chopped granny smith apples

Cream together the brown sugar and butter, add the egg. 

In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, allspice, and salt.  Slowly add to the butter, sugar, egg mixture.

Fold in sour cream and apples.

Spread the batter in a greased and floured square baking pan.

Topping:
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 6 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Cut together the brown sugar, flour, and butter. 

Add the pecans and spread over the cake batter.

Bake in a 350° oven for an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


It is a very good coffee cake!

xoxo, K.

No comments:

Post a Comment