Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pain Perdu

Waking up at 5:30am on a Saturday morning is not my way to start the weekend.  However, I was up before the sunrise this morning so I decided to get out of bed and make some coffee.  

I noticed a message waiting for me on my phone, so when I checked it, my friend Kathy had texted me saying she will be in town next weekend and was wondering if I wanted to go to Napa.  Absolutely!  Even though it’s very early in the morning, this is a nice way to start the morning.

After having a few sips of coffee, I began to wake up and think about breakfast.  What will it be today?  Hmmm, I have some left over Acme bread, some eggs and milk in the fridge…  Pain Perdu (aka French Toast)!

A few eggs, some milk, pure vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, a bit of sugar and some orange zest was all I needed to make the custard.

After mixing the ingredients, I sliced the day old bread and allowed it to soak in the custard for about 20 minutes turning it once.  

After heating a nonstick All-Clad griddle on medium-low for about 10 minutes, I placed the soaked bread on the griddle and allowed it to cook through thoroughly.  

While the bread was cooking, I heated up some grade A maple syrup and sliced a couple of Brown Turkey Figs to serve alongside. (Notice how I did not say maple flavored syrup?)

When the bread was ready, I placed it on an elegant blue-banded brasserie dinner plate along side the figs and sprinkled confectioner’s sugar over the plate.

I served the pain perdu with fresh-squeezed orange juice and this made for a lovely breakfast. The flavors of the spices melded well with the orange zest. The maple syrup added just the right amount of sweetness without being overpowering.  

Pain Perdue; for breakfast or for dessert, it’s what’s for dinner.  

Cheers,  Brad 


No comments:

Post a Comment